The skin is our body’s largest organ, so we should treat it carefully and give it all the natural ingredients it needs. Conventional skincare and beauty products contain chemical toxins that can be very destructive. Some very common skincare ingredients have been linked to severe health problems, including cancer, reproductive and neurological harm, and disruption of the endocrine system.
Some excellent alternative products are available – natural cosmetic products made from raw materials sourced from nature and renewable sources. The raw materials go through the least amount of processing, and these methods do not impact humans or the earth.
However, no formal system regulates the term “natural” and what this term means, so it can be used to cover a variety of shades of natural.
So how can you tell whether products labelled natural are that?
Essentially, here is a list of harmful chemicals to avoid in any skincare products, so do check the ingredients on the products you use and avoid the following:
- Parabens – chemical preservatives
- Sulphates – used as foaming agents
- Phthalates – used as lubricants and softeners
- Fragrance – could be very toxic unless specified as pure essential oils
- Phenoxyethanol – anti-bacterial agent
- PEG’s – a range of polyethylene glycols
- Petrochemicals – including mineral oil, petroleum jelly, etc.
The other concern is the environmental impact and sustainability of the ingredients used.
Ecocert (worldwide) and its COSMOS certification for natural and organic cosmetics have developed extensive guidelines and approval processes for ingredients used in cosmetic products.
COSMOS certification guarantees:
- Environmentally friendly production and processing
- Responsible use of natural resources
- Respect for biodiversity
- Absence of the above harmful products
- Absence of GMO
Moya Essentials uses only Ecocert and COSMOS-approved ingredients in our products. They are also locally and sustainably produced in the Southern Peninsula – actual natural products!
To view more products from Moya Essentials, click here.