Do you know that the average Owl eats 2-3 rodents a night? That makes Owls far safer and more effective at controlling rodents than poisons, traps or zappers.
Besides their practical benefits, nothing beats the soothing call and majestic flight of an Owl at night.
- Made from 100% recycled materials according to BirdLife South Africa specifications for owl houses.
- The type which is open on all sides is preferred by the Spotted Eagle Owl. (The closed type with small entrance hole, which is preferred by Barn Owls can also be ordered)
- Treated externally with wax sealer for weather protection.
- Dimensions: 500mm high x 500 wide x 400 mm deep
Ecosolutions have had some of their owl boxes occupied within 2 weeks, but on average it takes 2-5 years and only about 50% of owl boxes get occupied at all. It really depends on how many owls in the area, whether they are happy with their existing nest, have young that will be looking for a new nest etc. These are factors that are out of our control. Having said that, obviously the longer you have your boxes up, the more chance you have that an Owl will find it and take up residence. The following can help make your new house as attractive as possible:
- Install the box at least 4meters from the ground. (6-8 meters is even better)
- Face the box away from prevailing winds if possible
- Make sure there is a clear flight path to the box by cutting away branches that obscure the entrance.
- Owls prefer dark, quiet spots so select a spot in the bottom corner of your property away from artificial lighting. Barn owls are less noise sensitive and their boxes can readily be installed under the eaves of roofs etc.
- Fill the bottom of the box with dry leaves/ grass and inspect the box every few months to make sure other birds have not made it a home as this will dissuade owls from taking up residence.
- If you provide a hunting perch (long straight pole 4+ meters) nearby overlooking an open field, this will also encourage owls to hunt in your area and make them more likely to spot your box.
- Eagle owls prefer their nests to be nearer the centre of a tall tree, at or on the main trunk, or at a fork between two large branches.
- Two ropes are provided with the boxes for tying them to a branch and drain holes are provided in the bottom so fluid/ debris can drain out.
- The Barn Owl boxes have the landing perch removed for shipping, but this perch can be re-attached using the dowl guide pins and centre screw provided.
- As to how long they last? Ive had my owl boxes up for around 2 years and they look the same as the day we installed them, so Im confident that the boxes will last as long as the trees.
Dont hesitate to contact me if you need any other help or advice. Hope you soon find a Tennant”