SEO, short for Search Engine Optimization, may seem like an overwhelming concept at first, but it sure doesn’t need to be. SEO is built on keywords, which are the words people type into search engines to look for products and/or information. If you use the same words people are typing to search online, chances are your products will be viewed more than if you didn’t use similar words.
Search engines are super smart and actively crawl websites to determine what you have on your website, how it relates to what people are looking for and if there are external links from other websites to validate the website (also referred to as votes).
Here are a few pointers that you should do to increase visibility on Moksi from an SEO perspective:
- The title of your product is very important. Be thoughtful when you write and make sure you use descriptions such as “Jade Polymer Clay Earrings” instead of just “Earrings” or ‘Polymer Earrings”. Google wants to know exactly what it is you are selling. The ideal length is 100 characters.
- The long description of your product should be no less than 200 words. Be sure to be descriptive and use keywords that your ideal buyer would type to find your product. Use Google Keyword Planner and/or Google Trends to determine which words to use. Keep your sentences short and concise.
- Bullets are good for long descriptions.
- Your short description (SEO Meta Description) should include the title of your product in the first sentence.
- Don’t duplicate content. Google will pick up on this and your product will not rank as high as it wouldn’t know which one of the duplicates is true.
- If you have your own website, having text links to Moksi will be of great benefit (e.g., Buy my polymer clay earrings on Moksi). The same goes for links from your social media pages to your Moksi profile page.
- Do you have a video link to your product? Include the link to the video on YouTube or Vimeo for an SEO boost.
- Name your images. Google cannot “read” an image, so it will refer to the image name, and the more description there is in the image name, the better Google will understand what it is.
Now that you know more about SEO, we hope you will implement these steps. Ultimately the goal is to gain more visibility and in essence, more sales.
Speak to the Moksi team if you require any further assistance in your SEO set-up. And, if you make changes to your existing products, be sure to give us a shout so we can check on the backend that all is still in order with how it has been set up.